- Secretary Lanehead & Briercliffe ward Burnley CLP
- Burnley borough councillor
- Lancashire county councillor
- Shadow cabinet member children, young people and schools at Lancashire County Council
‘Our Work, Our Lives, Our Town: Burnley People, Pakistani Roots’ Edited by Sobia Malik
“I am always delighted to see books that record and honour the efforts of our parents’ generation in setting up home in Britain and bringing us up in strange and sometimes very difficult conditions. They were always willing to make sacrifices for us and as they take pride in our achievements we certainly are grateful for and humbled by their efforts. While my own upbringing was in London and mill towns like Burnley are ‘another country’ to me, these are the thoughts evoked for me by Sobia Malik’s painstaking, labour of love, ‘Our Work, Our Lives, Our Town: Burnley People, Pakistani Roots’.”
Tariq Modood MBE, AcSS, Professor of Sociology, Politics and Public Policy, Director, University of Bristol Research Centre for the Study of Ethnicity and Citizenship, Robert Schuman Fellow, European University Institute, 2013-15
- A History of Pakistanis in Burnley 1960-2010. Community Cohesion Project:
- Book published, ‘Our Work, Our Lives, Our Town: Burnley People, Pakistani Roots.’
- Documentary film produced, ‘Our Work, Our Lives, Our Town: Burnley People, Pakistani Roots.’
- Touring exhibition, ‘Our Work, Our Lives, Our Town: Burnley People, Pakistani Roots.’
- Additional Inspector for Ofsted
- Inspection Services – Section 5 Inspector training
- EHU Visiting Lecturer: Education.
- NE Associate Consultant: English/Literacy.
- English Department intervention and support.
- Politics and Citizenship project with Pakistani girls at Rivington & Blackrod High.
- Implementing Lancashire County Council ‘One to One Tuition’ strategy in partnership with Lancashire mosques 2010.